When the testing call went up for The Big Day Out Jacket by Ainslee Fox Boutique I jumped on it without stopping to think if I could actually sew a denim jacket. Its not something that I would normally ever attempt – all that top stitching and would my basic machine handle the thicker fabric? I’m SOOOO thrilled that I didn’t stop and think and jumped in with both feet because not only was my first ever test a success but I LOVE the end result and I have another cut out and waiting to be sewn in Chook’s project basket.
Released and available in OT17 The Big Day Out Jacket is one of 14 included in the issue. While I wouldn’t classify this as a beginner friendly pattern someone with some experience could confidently take it on and have excellent results. Jen Fox the brains behind Ainslee Fox and One Thimble takes your hand and steps you through this pattern step by step. Her directions are fabulous.
It was raining the week that we finished this jacket and Chook has just started getting into Peppa Pig (much to my dismay) so when I suggested jumping in muddy puddles well she was as happy as Peppa in a muddy puddle. Silly mummy forgot her SD card though so it took another 3 attempts to finally get enough photos to share for the release of OT 17.
Changes made to the final pattern – top pockets moved and sleeve length shortened slightly.
This is the straight sz 3 on Chook.
– Lightweight stretch denim from spotlight (has been sitting in my stash for a while)
– White puddle jumping dress – White colorway of Penelope Print from The Material Girl Australia
– Patterned Dress – Rayon from Spotlight current stock
– Big Day Out Jacket – Ainslee Fox Boutique – Issue 17 One Thimble
– Puddle Jumping Dress – Evelyn – Violette Fields Threads
– Patterned Dress – Hally Dress – Ainslee Fox Boutique – Issue 16 One Thimble